Most of us want to leave some type of legacy. Putting the right plan in place for your successors is our expertise
By using the most innovative and sophisticated planning methods available, our firm strives to achieve our clients' planning goals while minimizing estate taxes and other taxes.
Jamie Hargrove, Attorney, AEP, CPA
Our Advanced Planning practice caters to the legal needs of business owners, corporate executives, high net worth individuals, and multiple generations of their families. We have great depth of experience advising these clients in the following representative areas:
Wealth Transfer Planning
Provide for future generations
Wealth transfer planning, for domestic and international clients, to minimize (or altogether eliminate) estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer taxes using:
- Marital deduction and credit shelter trusts (A/B trusts)
- Qualified Terminal Interest Trusts (QTIPs) and Qualified Domestic Trusts (QDOTs)
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (ILITs)
- Generation-Skipping Trusts (GST trusts)
- Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRTs)
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts (IDGTs)
- Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs)
- Installment sales to IDGTs, private annuities, and Self-Cancelling Installment Notes (SCINs)
- Discount valuation planning and estate freezing with Family Limited Partnerships (FLPs) and Limited Liability Companies (LLCs)
Business Succession Planning
The sooner an exit plan is in place, the better
To transition closely-held companies in a tax-efficient manner while maintaining productivity, profits, and harmony among partners (and their families).
Watch Protecting the Family Farm Video
Watch Business Succession Video
Asset Protection Strategies
There is no one plan that fits all
Asset protection strategies employ many of the aforementioned tools and techniques, as well as captive insurance companies, self-settled spendthrift trusts, and various limited liability entities that can be established in Delaware or other jurisdictions, including offshore, under appropriate circumstances.
Watch Grantor Trust Video
Watch Life Insurance Video
Charitable Gift Planning
Address the objectives and questions that need answering
Charitable gift planning through the use of split interest trusts, private foundations, donor-advised funds, and other tax exempt gifting vehicles.
There is a lot at stake and it is important you understand it all
Retirement counseling on the estate and income tax aspects of required minimum distributions from retirement plans and IRAs.
Establishing property and financial rights
Matrimonial matters, including the preparation of prenuptial agreements, agreements between unmarried couples and trust, estate, and tax advice related to divorce.